So you want to be a referee. Your Referee Career starts with becoming an AYSO Volunteer. Once you have completed the volunteer steps we will provide you with the education, the training and even the uniform to referee the world's greatest sport!
BECOMING A VOLUNTEER:
Step by step instructions
- AYSO Region 62 is utilizing electronic signature (e-signature) for processing all of our players and volunteers. This process will save our Region in the long term storage of the normal paper materials and will likely speed the process of processing our returning volunteers. Region 62 is accepting only e-signature forms for volunteers (computers are set up at the walk-in registrations to help those without computer access for volunteer and player registration on-line).
- REMEMBER THAT YOU MUST APPLY AS A VOLUNTEER EACH AND EVERY YEAR FOR AYSO. YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SENT IN AND PROCESSED FOR SAFE HAVEN BACKGROUND CHECKS. This information was a part of your SAFE HAVEN training for all coaches, referees and board members.)
- YOUTH VOLUNTEERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18 HAVE A DIFFERENT FORM THAN ADULTS, BUT MUST FILE THE ADULT FORM WHEN THE YOUTH TURNS 18 (they stop being a youth volunteer on their 18th birthday and must re-file as an adult to continue volunteering)
- New Volunteer- You are classified as a New Volunteer if you did not register in the prior years.
- Continuing Volunteer- You are classified as a continuing volunteer if you had volunteered in previous years.
- Log into www.eayso.org with your 'login e-mail' (note that there is a link if you have forgot or changed your e-mail address used for eAYSO)
- Enter your password (note that there is a link if you have forgot your password used for eAYSO). There is a phone number for eAYSO help (866-588-2976) that you can call to help with either of the above steps if you have problems.
- THE ABOVE STEPS ARE THE HARDEST PART. YOU SHOULD RECORD YOUR LOG-IN INFORMATION SINCE THIS IS USED EVERY YEAR FOR PLAYER AND VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION.
- Now that you are in your eAYSO account, select from:
Complete the steps, including what may seem like the same screen showing a few times at the 'e-signature' step. Make sure that your form has your typed name at the bottom (both parent and youth volunteer for the youth form).
You should be prompted if you would like to print out your form:
- Adults wanting to volunteer
- Apply as a new adult volunteer
- Apply as a continuing adult volunteer
- YOUTH VOLUNTEERS- must have a copy of their volunteer form with them at all times when they are volunteering as this is their medical release. Make a copy and have it in the referee bag.
- NEW ADULT VOLUNTEERS- need to print out a copy and bring it to the walk-in registration.
BECOMING A REFEREE:
- Safe Haven Training (online at www.aysotraining.org) - about 45 minutes
You will need to have your eAYSO volunteer ID from the above registration process to register for and take the on-line training for SAFE HAVEN.
- z-online Basic Referee Training (online at www.aysotraining.org) - about 1 hour
- z-online Concussion Awareness Training (online at www.aysotraining.org) - about 30 minutes
- Basic Referee Course (register for the course at www.eayso.org) - about 4 hours
- YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER FOR THE COURSE ON www.eayso.org THIS IS IMPORTANT - WE NEED TO GET A HEAD COUNT FOR MATERIALS AND REFRESHMENTS and GET YOU STARTED WITH eAYSO.
- You must complete the z-online Safe Haven Training and the z-online Basic Referee Training courses (recommend the z-online Concussion Awareness Training) as a prerequisite to this class.
- This is a companion course to the on-line training. The course will include question/answer/comment, some field work for signals and basic referee mechanics, and a test. Attendees that have not taken the prerequisite on-line training may not be accepted to the class.
TO ENROLL IN COURSES:
Once you have established an account at www.eayso.org and have logged in: you should be able to select:
- ‘Enroll to take a class’ Sort by State, sort by section ‘2’, give it a moment and the screen will update
- Sort by AREA ‘N’ another moment for the screen to update, then select ‘course’ – Basic Referee Online Companion Course
- Click on the SEARCH button
- A listing of these courses will be offered, with a tab to ‘check’ the specific course to the left (you should select the course in San Juan Capistrano)--- after marking the check, select “Course Signup” button at the bottom.
- Select your name from the Volunteer Selection and then the tab for “Add attendee to program roster”
Note: while you can certainly take any of the Basic Referee Courses or Basic Referee Online Companion Course listed in different cities and dates, we prefer to have you take a class in your home region. This offers us a chance to meet you and for you to meet a few of our staff. We will talk about on the field mentoring during training.
IF THE COURSES IN AREA 2N DO NOT WORK WITH YOUR SCHEDULE, YOU CAN MODIFY YOUR SEARCH FOR COURSES LEAVING THE ‘SORT’ UNDER AREA TO “—select—“.
- You may need to pay for these courses direct but Region 62 will reimburse you. Get a receipt of some sort and your certification for reimbursement.
- Most regions in our AREA 2N will bill our region directly for your training. If you take a course where you have to pay, get some type of receipt and your training certification and Region 62 will reimburse for the cost of the training.
FAIR, SAFE AND FUN
More Referee Information is available at www.aysotraining.org
USEFUL INFORMATION (WEBSITES)
- www.ayso.org – AYSO general website
- www.aysohelp.org - This is the most important AYSO web site for all AYSO referees and includes all AYSO referee publications, general information and links to USSF and FIFA web sites.www.asktheref.com - This is a fun website to use to refresh your Law memory or ask questions about refereeing – This is not an official AYSO or USSF website but the information presented here is usually very useful.